Summit Event Terms of Service
These terms of service apply to all Summit events
Last modified: June 23, 2023
Release and Waiver of Liability and Assumption of Risk Agreement
This Release and Waiver of Liability and Assumption of Risk Agreement (“Agreement”) is by and between Summit Series, LLC, a Delaware limited liability company, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, successors and assigns, and each of those acting under its authority (together, “Summit Series”), and the undersigned (“I” or “me”). In consideration of being allowed to attend and/or participate in any way, in any and all of the events, programs, and/or activities (each, an “Event” and collectively, “Events”), hosted, accommodated, sponsored, organized, offered, arranged recommended, suggested and/or referenced by Summit Series, I, for myself, my personal representatives, assigns, heirs, successors, and next of kin, acknowledge, stipulate, and agree without any reservation of rights that:
- I understand the complete nature of the Event in which I am participating and/or attending and represent that I am qualified, in good health, and in proper physical and mental condition to participate and/or attend in such Event. I further agree and warrant that if at any time I believe conditions of the Event to be unsafe, I will immediately discontinue further participation in the Event. I also agree that participation in and attendance at the Event are all completely voluntary in nature. I agree to abide by any and all safety rules and directions provided by any of the Releasees (defined below), and I understand that my attendance at and participation in any or all of the activities at the Event may be terminated should I fail to follow such safety rules and/or directions, without any refund to me of any fees paid to participate or attend such Event.
- I fully understand that: (a) the activities at the Event may involve risks and dangers of serious bodily injury, including permanent disability, paralysis, and death (“Risks”); (b) these Risks and dangers may be caused by my own actions, inaction, or the inaction or actions of others participating in the Event, the geography, topography and/or conditions in which the Event takes place, or the negligence of the Releasees; (c) there may be other Risks and social and economic losses either not known to me or not readily foreseeable at this time and I fully accept and assume all such Risks and responsibility for losses, costs, and damages I incur as a result of my participation in or attendance at the Event; and (d) Summit Series has not obtained insurance on my behalf, and I am responsible for my own insurance coverage. I UNDERSTAND THAT NEGLIGENCE INCLUDES FAILURE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES TO TAKE REASONABLE STEPS TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT ME FROM RISKS.
- I understand that I am responsible for (a) loss of or damage to Summit Series’ property provided for my use, including but not limited to accommodations, furniture and equipment, and (b) any costs incurred by Summit Series relating to medical expenses, and that such losses, damages or costs will result in fees for which I will be billed and required to pay. Fees may vary depending upon the amount necessary to restore or replace any damaged property.
- I HEREBY FULLY AND FOREVER WAIVE, RELEASE, DISCHARGE, AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE SUMMIT SERIES, ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, RELATED ENTITIES, ADMINISTRATORS, DIRECTORS, AGENTS, OFFICERS, MEMBERS, FOUNDERS, VOLUNTEERS, INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS, EMPLOYEES, OTHER PARTICIPANTS, THIRD PARTY VENDORS, SPONSORS, ADVERTISERS, AND THE OWNERS AND LESSEES OF THE PREMISES UPON WHICH EVENTS TAKE PLACE (COLLECTIVELY, THE “RELEASEES”) FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, DEMANDS, LOSSES, OR DAMAGES IN ANY WAY RELATING TO THE EVENTS AND/OR IN ANY WAY RELATING TO THE NEGLIGENCE OR ALLEGED NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES; AND I FURTHER AGREE NOT TO MAKE ANY CLAIM AGAINST OR SUE THE RELEASEES IN CONNECTION WITH ANY EVENT FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER. I FURTHER AGREE NOT TO MAKE A CLAIM AGAINST OR SUE THE RELEASEES FOR INJURIES, DEATH OR PROPERTY DAMAGES RELATING TO ANY ACTIVITIES AT THE EVENT EVEN IF ANY INJURY, DEATH OR DAMAGE IS CAUSED TO ME OR MY PROPERTY DUE TO THE ORDINARY NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES, THE DANGEROUS CONDITION OF ANY PROPERTY UPON WHICH THE ACTIVITIES AT THE EVENT MAY TAKE PLACE AND/OR AS A RESULT OF ANY OTHER CAUSE WHATSOEVER.
- I (or, if participant is a minor, the person signing on behalf of the minor participant) represent and warrant that: (a) I am of legal age and have the right to contract in my own name, or, if participant is a minor, I am the parent or legal guardian of the minor child listed below and am authorized to sign documents on his/her behalf; (b) I have read this Agreement, fully understand its terms, understand that I have given up substantial rights by signing it and have signed it freely and without any inducement or assurance of any nature; (c) I intend this Agreement to be a complete and unconditional release of all liability of the Releasees to the greatest extent allowed by law; and (d) I agree that if any term or provision of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, such invalidity or unenforceability will not affect any other term or provision of this Agreement. This Agreement is governed by the laws of the State of Delaware without regard to conflict of law principles. Any dispute concerning this Agreement and/or any of the Events referenced herein (generally or specifically) will be instituted exclusively in the federal or state courts located in the State of Delaware.
Photo and Video Release
The undersigned hereby grants to Summit Series, LLC, a Delaware limited liability company (“Summit Series”), and its successors, licensees and assigns, permission to photograph and video me and to use those photographs and video and any material I provide, and my name, likeness, image and information about me (collectively referred to as the “Material”) for any purpose, whether commercial or promotional in nature, including, without limitation, for use in advertising, or for promotional and/or publicity purposes, and in any form, including video, photographs, negatives, positives, prints, digital reproductions, audio recordings, or other manifestations thereof and on, or in connection with any media, including the Internet, Summit Series’ or other relevant websites, social media sites, blogs, and any and all digital and new media along with any activating or subscription-based technical components or features provided thereon, whether now existing or hereinafter developed. For the avoidance of doubt, I agree that this Release includes Summit Series’ right to photograph and/or record, without limitation, any performances and speaking engagements in which I participate, view, speak, perform, and/or attend, and that such photography and recordings are deemed included in the definition of Material. I represent and warrant that I have the right and authority to enter into this Release and that Summit Series is not required to pay any claims for royalties, residuals, or other compensation to me. I will indemnify and hold harmless Summit Series and its assigns from and against all costs, damages and claims arising from any breach or alleged breach by me of any representation, warranty or agreement hereunder.
Summit Series is under no obligation to utilize the Material or the results and proceeds thereof. Summit Series exclusively owns all now known and/or hereafter existing rights of every kind throughout the universe, in perpetuity, pertaining to such results and proceeds in and to the Material, and all elements therein, for all now known and/or hereafter existing uses and forms, including, without limitation, all copyrights. Summit Series has the sole right to determine the manner in which the Material may be used. If any of the work product hereunder is determined to not be a work-made-for-hire, I hereby assign to Summit Series in perpetuity all right, title and interest in and to such work product, including without limitation, all copyrights in the Material (and all renewals and extensions thereof). Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Release, I agree that Summit Series has the unlimited right to edit, rearrange, vary, change, alter, modify, manipulate, add to, and delete from the Material. I hereby waive the benefits of any provision of law known as “droit moral” and/or “moral rights” or any similar law in any jurisdiction of the universe and hereby agree not to institute or support, maintain, or permit any action or lawsuit on the grounds that any other ancillary, subsidiary, related or other product produced or exploited by Summit Series violates any of my rights or is in any way a defamation or mutilation of the product of the Material.
I understand that Summit Series may assign the rights and/or extend this permission to third parties, in Summit Series’ sole discretion, in connection with any of the permitted uses indicated above, and I understand that Summit Series and those others will be relying on and incurring certain expenses based on my having given Summit Series this permission. I acknowledge that, other than as stated herein, Summit Series has not said or promised anything to induce me to grant Summit Series this permission. This permission, and all the rights granted to Summit Series, are irrevocable and not subject to rescission, revocation, or termination. I further understand and agree that under no circumstance will I be entitled to equitable and/or injunctive relief in connection with this Release. This Release and all matters or issues collateral thereto is governed by the internal, substantive law of the State of Delaware without regard to the conflicts of law provisions thereof. The parties submit themselves to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of the United States of America or of the State of Delaware, in either case, sitting in the State of Delaware, for the adjudication of disputes arising under this Release.
Virgin Voyages Video/Photograph Release Form
I hereby grant Summit Series, LLC (“Producer”) and Virgin Cruises Intermediate Limited (“Virgin Voyages”) and their respective licensees and assigns the irrevocable right and permission to use photographs and/or video recordings of me and my name, persona and all rights of publicity and privacy world-wide in the Summit at Sea 2024 event onboard the Scarlet Lady (the “Project”) and/or in association with the Project in advertising, marketing, and promotional material for the Project (“Promotional Material”).
I understand and agree that such photographs and/or video recordings of me may be in commercial advertising and for profit or broadcasted on television networks, movie theatres, placed on the Internet, social media and all other outlets. I also understand and agree that I may be identified by name and/or title in printed, Internet or broadcast information that might accompany or promote the photographs and/or video recordings of me. I waive all approval rights. I agree that all such portraits, pictures, photographs, video and audio recordings, and any reproductions thereof, and all plates, negatives, recording tape and digital files are and shall remain the property of Producer, who may license/sublicense to Virgin Voyages.
I hereby release, acquit and forever discharge Producer and Virgin Voyages, their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, successors, assigns, shareholders, directors, officers, employees, attorneys, agents and servants from and against any and all claims, allegations, actions, suits, penalties, fines, demands, injuries, losses, or damages arising out of or in connection with the use or distribution of said photographs and/or video recordings, including but not limited to any claims for invasion of privacy, appropriation of likeness or defamation or violation of any personal privacy law worldwide. I hereby waive all moral rights worldwide and license the same to Producer, who may license/sublicense to Virgin Voyages. I grant the foregoing to Producer and Virgin Voyages in consideration of appearing in the Project and/or in association with the Project in the Promotional Material. I further agree that Virgin Voyages is a party to this Agreement, and Virgin Voyages is entitled to receive a copy of this Agreement in its entirety, including all personally identifiable information I provide herein.
I hereby warrant that I am eighteen (18) years old or more and competent to contract in my own name or, if I am less than eighteen years old, that my parent or guardian has signed this release form below. This release is binding on me and my heirs, assigns and personal representatives.
Code of Conduct
Why this is important
This code of conduct is designed to help ensure a safe environment for participants and attendees to share, learn, and build friendships. All participants of Summit events or members of Summit groups must abide by the following policies, which herein comprise the Summit Code of Conduct.
Be kind and considerate. Wear your wristband and badge at all times to access Summit spaces or provide appropriate identification when necessary. Comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws. Do not solicit business excessively or in violation of an individual’s request. Do not harass anyone sexually, verbally or otherwise. We take this seriously. If you’ve been harassed see below on how to contact one of our staff trained to help. Do not drink excessive amounts of alcohol, distribute alcohol to minors, and/ or engage in illegal drug use. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out this form to report any incidents of harassment at Summit events.
- All participants and attendees at a Summit event, including participants’ and attendees’ guests, must be approved by Summit Series through advance registration and wear official wristbands designating proper registration.
- We reserve the right to remove participants, members, and attendees who do not comply with the proper registration, security procedures or requirements of attendee conduct outlined below at any point during an event without a refund. Summit Series reserves the right to remove anyone who disobeys any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of the event.
- No participants or attendees may impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent their affiliation with a person or entity.
- Participants and attendees may not aid in gaining an unauthorized person access to an event; this is grounds for removal without refund.
- Participants and attendees must not defame, abuse, harass, harm or threaten others, make any bigoted, hateful, or racially offensive statements.
- Participants and attendees may not advocate illegal activity or discuss illegal activities with the intent to commit them or cause injury or property damage to any person.
- Participants and attendees may not post or distribute any material that infringes and/or violates any right of a third party or any law or post or distribute any vulgar, obscene, discourteous, or indecent language or images.
- Participants and attendees may not advertise or sell to or solicit others excessively.
- Participants and attendees may not hand out, transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation, except in those areas that are designated for such purpose.
- Without limitation of the foregoing, Summit may, in its sole and absolute discretion, remove any participant or attendee from an Event, without explanation, either before or during an Event, if such attendee engages in any unlawful, unauthorized, prohibited, improper, or unethical activities, or any other acts or omissions that Summit deems worthy of such person’s removal from an Event. In the event you are removed, Summit will not provide a refund for an Event, member activity, or site access, as applicable.
It is of the utmost importance that Summit ensure a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We demand equal respect of all participants and attendees and do not tolerate harassment of staff, attendees, participants, guests, or speakers in any form. Sexual harassment includes unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature, such as unwelcome sexual advances or attention, requests for sexual favors, verbal, nonverbal, graphic and electronic communications that are of a sexual nature, displaying sexual images in public spaces, or inappropriate or unwanted physical conduct. Gender-based harassment is unwelcome conduct of a nonsexual nature based on an individual’s actual or perceived sex, including conduct based on gender identity, gender expression, and nonconformity with gender stereotypes that is sufficiently serious to adversely affect an individual’s participation in a Summit event. Sexual violence is an umbrella term that includes sexual assault, such as rape/attempted rape, criminal sexual act, forcible touching, and sexual abuse. If of a sexual nature, stalking/cyberstalking and dating, domestic and intimate partner violence may also constitute sexual harassment, gender-based harassment or sexual violence. This policy covers, without limitation, the foregoing acts. Be kind to others Do not insult or put down other attendees. Behave appropriately. Remember that harassment and sexist, racist, or exclusionary jokes are not appropriate for any Summit event. If a participant or attendee engages in harassing behavior and violates these rules, Summit retains the right in its sole discretion, to take any actions to keep the event a welcoming environment for all participants. This includes warning the offender or expulsion from the event without refund. Other event organizers may also take action to redress anything designed to, or with the clear impact of, disrupting the event or making the environment hostile for any participants. We expect participants to follow these rules at all event venues and event-related social activities. We think people should follow these rules outside event activities too! Speak up if you see or hear something If someone makes you or anyone else feel unsafe or unwelcome, please report it as soon as possible. Harassment and other code of conduct violations reduce the value of our events for everyone. We want you to be happy at our events. People like you make our events a better place. You can make a report either personally or anonymously. You can make a personal report by:
- Visiting the on-site Sanctuary at Summit events and speaking to a counselor.
- Reaching out by phone at +1-(410)-972-1368. This phone number will be continuously monitored for the duration of each Summit event.
- Filling out an anonymous or non-anonymous report at https://summit.allvoices.co.
When taking a personal report, our staff will ensure you are safe and cannot be overheard. They may involve other event staff to ensure your report is managed properly. Once safe, we'll ask you to tell us about what happened. This can be upsetting, but we assure you that we will handle the incident as respectfully as possible, and you can bring someone to support you. You won't be asked to confront anyone and we won't tell anyone who you are. This policy prohibits retaliation against any person who reports sexual harassment, gender-based harassment or sexual violence, assists someone making such a report, or participates in any manner in an investigation or resolution of a sexual harassment, gender-based harassment or sexual violence complaint. Our team will be happy to help you contact hotel/venue security, local law enforcement, local support services, provide escorts, or otherwise assist you to feel safe for the duration of the event. We value your attendance.
Summit attendee lists and contact information are provided exclusively to event registrants and members and meant to encourage genuine, one-to-one communication. The "mining" and use of Summit attendee lists for unwelcome business development and / or mass solicitation is strictly prohibited at all times, and doing so will result in a DNI (Do Not Invite) status henceforth.
Alcohol and Drug Use Policy
Summit event participants and attendees must abide by this alcohol and drug policy and are responsible for complying with federal, state, and local laws on the possession, use, and sale of alcohol and illicit drugs. Any event participant or attendee that is under the age of 21 may not possess or consume alcoholic beverages under any circumstances. No event participant or attendee may distribute alcoholic beverages to anyone under the age of 21 or to any person that cannot establish that they are under the age of 21, nor may any event participant or attendee bring alcoholic beverages to any Summit event. In no event should anyone misrepresent one's age for the purpose of purchasing, possessing, or consuming alcohol. No participant or attendee of a Summit event may use, ingest, be under the influence of, sell, possess or distribute illegal or illicit drugs while at a Summit event. Event participants and attendees will be held directly responsible for the destruction of personal or public property; the violation of the safety or rights of others; the violation of any federal, state or local law; or the violation of any other Summit policy that may occur while they are under the influence of alcohol or drugs. If any of the uses above prove true, the participant or attendee will be removed from the event immediately without refund. Summit reserves the right to notify the authorities if any participant or attendee violates this policy. Summit disclaims any intention to assume duties to protect event participants and attendees from their own abuse of alcohol or other drugs, or to protect third parties from the conduct of event participants and attendees.